Accessing ALEKS Remotely
To take ALEKS, you need to be an admitted KSU student. Follow the steps below to complete the math placement assessment:
STEP 1: LOG INTO FLASHLINE
To access Flashline for the first time, login here (https://login.kent.edu/) Your Flashline username and Kent State ID Number are listed on your acceptance letter.
The format for your initial unique user profile, which requires a password set up. Before you start, you need to know two things:
- User Name - This is the first part of your Kent email address (ex. "email@example.com" is "jdoe") If you do not know your User Name, please refer to your admission’s letter or call Kent State’s HelpDesk (330-672-HELP).
- Password - New Students are given a temporary password when their account is setup. This password consists of information about the student that only the student would know about him/herself. The format of your initial 10-character temporary password is:
mmmyyxxxxx (all lower case):
- mmm = the first three letters of your birth month
- yy = the last two numbers of your birth year
- xxxxx = the last five digits of your Kent State ID number (formerly, Banner ID)
So, for "John A. Doe" (birth date March 17, 1979 and Kent State ID 810123456), the initial password would be: mar7923456.
After the first time you login, you will be promoted to change this temporary password. Your new password must be comprised of eight characters, using a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers. Note that your Flashline password is case sensitive. Remember your new password!
STEP 2: TAKE MATH PLACEMENT ASSESSMENT
- Once logged into Flashline (https://login.kent.edu/), select "Student Tools & Courses" from the main menu.
- To the right, you will see a Placement Assessment block.
- You are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement only.
- You will need paper and pencil/pen to complete the placement assessment, but NO personal calculator is permitted. A calculator will be provided by ALEKS when needed.
- Students may be asked questions on material that is unfamiliar. On such questions the student should answer, "I don't know." But on any question that is even slightly familiar to the student it is important to attempt to answer. "I don't know" is interpreted by ALEKS to mean that the student has no knowledge of the topic and this will be reflected in the assessment results. If the student's best effort is not given, then ALEKS will underestimate their knowledge.
- The math placement assessment should take 60-90 minutes to complete.
- Your placement results will be available for you to view upon completion. If you need more information about your score, please contact your academic advisor.
- Your computer needs to have Java enabled.
- View "System Requirements" for computer-related questions.
- Contact ALEKS Support (below) if you have problems accessing the math placement.
The use of ALEKS requires installation of the ALEKS plug-in. The plug-in should install on your computer automatically the first time you access the ALEKS site. If you have trouble installing the plug-in, visit www.aleks.com/faqs/technical.
ALEKS Technical Support FAQs: (www.aleks.com/faqs/technical)
Email via: www.support.aleks.com
IMPORTANT! After installation of the ALEKS plug-in, restart (reboot) your computer.