Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Academic Support FAQ

What if my student is not proficient in a certain subject area? Where can they go for help?

Tutoring Services are available at both Geauga and Twinsburg Academic Center.  If your student experiences difficulty in any of their courses, they may request tutoring through Academic Support Services by contacting Ben Morrison, Coordinator of Academic Support Services, at 440-834-3726 or email  There is no charge for tutoring, and your student may schedule a regular weekly appointment or use it on an "as needed" basis.

What should my student do if he/she is having academic difficulties?

In the case of academic difficulties, your student should first communicate with their professor.  If they need additional advice, academic advisors are very willing to help your student become successful.  Advisors can help students with Test taking skills, Time management, Study skills, Reading strategies, Note taking skills, Referrals for personal counseling, and Referrals for diagnostic testing. 

My student has special needs that I feel the staff should know about. Whom should I notify?

We are committed to helping students with learning/physical disabilities succeed in their courses. Types of disabilities include mobility impairments, visual impairments, hearing impairments, speech impairments, specific learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder, chronic health disorders, psychological disabilities, and temporary disabilities. Students seeking services must provide documentation of their specific disability. Although a student may be eligible for services, specific accommodations are not extended by Academic Support Services unless they are requested. A student has the right to choose to use only a few of the accommodations available or to completely refuse special help.  Please call early for an appointment to arrange for accommodations. For more information or to set up an appointment, call Ben Morrison at 440-834-4187 or email

What skills does my student need to succeed?

Study Skills, Test Taking Skills, Time Management Skills, Reading Strategy Skills, and Note Taking Skills are some of the most important skills needed at the college level.  For online resources, please refer to the websites listed below:

          Study Skills:

          Test Taking Skills:

          Time Management Skills:

          Reading Strategy Skills:

          Note Taking Skills:

Will KSU alert me if my student is having difficulty?

Our educational and student-development philosophy, as well as the professional confidentiality codes observed by medical and counseling professionals, and Federal laws, require us to honor a confidential relationship with students in nearly all matters affecting their lives at Kent State University at Geauga and Twinsburg Academic Center. Consequently, we do not routinely report students' occasional or on-going academic, social, medical, or personal problems to their parents. We contact families only when, in our best judgment, the student's well-being demands a family consultation. In such cases, we usually ask the student to make the first contact with his or her parents.

How can I obtain a copy of my student's grades?

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), institutions of higher education are restricted in the information that can be released from a student's educational record. A general rule of thumb which will prevent any possible violation of FERPA is not to share a student's information with anyone other than the student. Parents of dependent students as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 may have access to their child's records provided they have demonstrated satisfactory evidence of the student's dependent status, and that students be notified of all such requests in advance of compliance.